Have you ever found yourself thinking it’s time to declutter your home, and then postponing it? We’ve all been there.
Sometimes, it’s almost impossible to make time for a decluttering session, but here’s a secret: October is one of the best months to get your house organised.
What is happening in Autumn?
After the back-to-school rush, many parents take this season as a time to clean up and organise the family home. Summer toys and summer clothes can be now put away, and it’s time to switch our wardrobes around and get out autumn and winter clothing out.
During Autumn, many of us will be busy anticipating the Black Friday shopping extravaganza. This big sale event is usually held in November, so this is the time to start making a list of everything you need to buy.
Speaking of shopping, many of us are doing our Christmas shopping in October. The majority of retailers already have their Christmas gift deals and ideas out, and it’s a good idea to start crossing gifts off your list as soon as possible.
Here are some suggestions on what to buy:
- Home appliances, as this is the time when previous year’s models get discounted.
- You can find great bargains on cookware during October.
- Toys and games (great Christmas gifts).
Also during this month, our calendars are marked with a few Halloween parties. You probably know how much room some costumes can take! You’ll need to make room for all those purchases and Halloween outfits. Usually that means putting your summer gear away, and here are some useful tips on storing it:
- Sort clothes by category (tops, dresses, trousers, etc.).
- Don’t store what you haven’t worn this season. Donate it or discard it.
- Avoid wrapping or storing clothes in plastic bags, as this can encourage mould growth.
- Line the bottom of storage boxes with acid-free paper or cotton sheets. Your clothes will last longer!
- Clean all toys and summer sports gear before putting them away.
- Store summer gear by activity(e.g. beach toys, sports gear, garden furniture, etc.).
- Save space by hanging bags of summer toys from wall hooks.
What about those who are moving homes?
Apart from back to school, shopping season and being the best time to organise your home, Autumn is a great time of the year to move homes.
We all know that summer is prime moving season, so once the busy period is over you’ll have more chances of booking your home removals around your preferred dates.
Whether you’re moving homes this autumn, or have decided to finally declutter your home, you may need seasonal storage.
At Twilleys Removals we’re experts in home decluttering and storage solutions and have 100 years’ experience helping homeowners in the London area. Get in touch with our team today!