Removals to Australia

Are you joining the thousands of Brits moving to the faraway lands of Australia? With the endless hot weather, stunning coastlines and wildlife – we don’t blame you! Australia is an ever popular place to relocate to and as more and more us move there, there’s never been more need for international movers like Twilleys. Let us help you make the big move – here’s what to expect. We’ll help you plan your move, from useful links to lists to help you on your way. See The Pre-move survey and get a quick quote.

Before you leave the UK

Tax and Pensions

Prior to leaving the United Kingdom, we recommend contacting HMRC to ensure that you won’t have to pay tax while you’re abroad and to double check that you have no outstanding tax payable – you wouldn’t want that hanging over your new life! You must also contact the Pension Service to notify them of your move, get a state pension forecast and inform them of your new address.


Whether you’re planning on traveling to Australia for a holiday or to live, you’ll always need a visa. If you want to work, you can apply for a Skilled Working Visa, which serves as a temporary working visa, or one of the many other working visas available to British citizens. Check out this brilliant online resource on Australia’s immigration website, where you can enter your details to find out what visas are available to you. For more information about visa applications for residential and holiday visits to Australia, see employment and recognised qualifications.


Think about it like you’re going on holiday, don’t pack anything you wouldn’t be happy to explain to a customs officer yourself. Even though, different countries outline different rules on what you can and cannot import through their borders, we’d recommend NOT packing the following items:

  • Firearms & ammunition
  • Inflammable goods & substances
  • Plants & plant material
  • Food, perishables or otherwise
  • Narcotics and dangerous goods
  • Offensive materials
  • Alcohol & Tobacco

After the move

The promise of sunnier days have got you this far… You’ve boarded the plane, made the necessary stopovers and now you’ve arrived. You’re in Australia! But what now? What happens after all the excitement has worn off and you have to get your life moving?

Healthcare in Australia

Australia is known for its high level of healthcare… Good job the UK has a reciprocal healthcare agreement with them, isn’t it? All British citizens can access limited health care during their visit/stay in Australia and there are plenty of walk-in medical centres where you can get treatment without having to book an appointment. The healthcare agreement between the UK and Australia covers immediate ailments in need of an instant fix, this does not include existing conditions. See Australian health service.


If you’re looking to work during your stay in Australia you must obtain a Tax File Number from the Australian Taxation Office. Aside from this you must also open a bank account – sound scary? It’s not, don’t panic. In Australia you can open a bank account for up to 6 weeks using just your passport. If you’re planning to stay longer, as you probably will be, you’ll need further identification to open a more permanent bank account. The majority of Australian employers will only pay wages into an Australian bank. Find out more in Google about the Australian finance and banking system.

General Advice

The British GOV.UK website living in Australia is a fantastic online resource for anyone looking to visit or move to Australia. You’ll find everything you need to know about the formalities of the education systems, employment, healthcare and driving licences. For lifestyle tips for once you’ve moved, there are hundreds of great online resources available from blogs to much more. See foreign travel advice and replace a driving licence online. See The Pre-move survey and get a quick quote.

Have a good trip!