Removals to Canada

Canada’s beautiful scenery, sensational skiing and cosmopolitan cities make it a fantastic place to live and work. If you’re planning to make the move to Canada, whether it’s because you have friends or family there, or maybe work is ushering you over, it’s important to have the right people working with you throughout for a smooth, stress free move. Move with Twilleys and you’ll be moving with the international removals experts you’ve always dreamt of.

Before you leave the UK

Tax and Pensions

Prior to leaving the United Kingdom, we recommend contacting HMRC to ensure that you won’t have to pay tax while you’re abroad and to double check that you have no outstanding tax payable – you wouldn’t want that hanging over your new life! You must also contact the Pension Service to notify them of your move, get a state pension forecast and inform them of your new address.


Before you travel, you MUST ensure that you are fully covered with travel and health insurance when moving to Canada. See Canada travel advice.


For the majority of British citizens, visas are not required for short stays in Canada, however some, including those with criminal records or lack of funds, may not be granted access to enter the country. If your intention is to work, study or stay for a longer period, take a look at citizenship and immigration Canada for more information. To find out how to apply for a resident card look for the ‘New Immigrants’ section on the Government of Canada website and see Permanent Resident Travel Document.


When moving to Canada, much like any international move, you must ensure that you’re not importing prohibited goods. Every country is different and for more information about what to expect when moving your items to Canada, see Canada Border Services Agency. You’ll also find information about what happens when you travel with an excess of $10,000, the rules for tobacco and alcohol, firearms and weapons and much more.

Think about it like you’re going on holiday, don’t pack anything you wouldn’t be happy to explain to a customs officer yourself. However, even though different countries outline different rules on what you can and cannot import through their borders, we’d recommend NOT packing the following items:

  • Firearms & ammunition
  • Inflammable goods & substances
  • Plants & plant material
  • Food, perishables or otherwise
  • Narcotics and dangerous goods
  • Offensive materials
  • Alcohol & Tobacco

After your move to Canada

Hello Canada! After all that way you have arrived – safe and sound and ready to start your brand new life in the (sometimes frozen) north. But what now? What happens after all the excitement has worn off and you’ve got to get your life moving?

Working in Canada

For the majority, a work permit is required to work in Canada but the good news is that most British citizens can apply for a Canadian work permit, but in order to do so you must:

  • Have proof that you’ll leave Canada when your work permit expires
  • Prove that you have enough money to support yourself and your family (if they come with you) during your stay and for when you return home.
  • Have no criminal record.
  • Not be a danger to Canada’s security.
  • Prove good health with a full medical exam (if needed)
  • Provide full disclosure of your new employer

For the full list on whether you’re eligible to apply for a work permit see determine your eligibility – work in Canada. Want to find out whether you need a work permit to work in Canada? See work in Canada to find out the different professions which don’t require a work permit.

Driving in Canada

If you’re moving to Canada to live, it’s good to note that each territory/province has its own driving licence. If you decide to move to either Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, British Columbia, Quebec, Newfoundland, Ontario or Labrador you’ll be happy to know that you can exchange your UK driver’s licence for a Canadian one. However you must prove that you’ve been driving for more than 2 years.

For the remaining territories, you’ll have to sit a practical and written driving test in order to obtain a Canadian driver’s licence. See driving in Canada.

General Advice

Want to find out more about what life is going to be like after you’ve moved? See living in Canada. You’ll find lots of great information about the school system, further residential requirements, healthcare and much more. You also need to take a look at their travel advice for the Canada guide. For general lifestyle advice, each territory has different rules, so head to their federal website for further information about what life is going to be like after the big move! See The Pre-move survey and get a quick quote.


Bon Voyage/ Safe travels!