Removals to Spain

When the rain’s pouring and the wind is howling it’s really tempting to book that one-way ticket to Spain. But if you’ve already taken the next step and actually booked yourself into a life in the Spanish sunshine, we can help you make the big move. From Alicante to Barcelona, there are endless beautiful locations to explore throughout the entirety of Spain and wherever you decide to settle, make sure you do so with a great European removals team of experts behind you.

Before you leave UK

Before leaving the UK, life is going to be a little hectic. From packing to life admin, sometimes it can all be a little overwhelming, but have no fear. Here you’ll find everything you need to help you plan your move, from useful links to lists, quick quotes and everything you need to help you on your way.

Tax and Pensions

Prior to leaving the United Kingdom, we recommend contacting HMRC to ensure that you won’t have to pay tax while you’re abroad and to double check that you have no outstanding tax payable – you wouldn’t want that hanging over your new life in paradise!

You must also contact the Pension Service to notify them of your move, get a state pension forecast and inform them of your new address.

Good news! Spain and Britain has a double tax agreement so you don’t have to pay income tax in both countries. However, we’d recommend seeking advice from HMRC because of how tricky tax laws can be. Residents, including the retired, have to pay income tax on any earnings made in Spain, including Spanish property. This includes Property or Real Estate Tax, Wealth and Capital Gains Tax, VAT (IVA), Inheritance Tax and local charges. For a fully comprehensive guide published in English by the Spanish Finance Ministry, look up ‘Taxation Regulations for Foreigners’.


As Britain is a member of the EU, if you’re a British citizen, then you will NOT need a visa to live and work in Spain. However, we always recommend checking in with the Spanish Embassy London before booking your move to Spain. To enter and leave Spain you will need a fully valid British passport and although there is no limit on expiry validity, you must ensure that your passport is valid for the entirety of your stay in Spain.


The move to Spain from the UK is simple. Whether you decide to freight or ship your household goods to your new home, we at Twilleys will work with you every step of the way, throughout the entire move. Like all countries, Spain has a list of prohibited items and import restrictions, including:

  • Firearms & ammunition
  • Inflammable goods & substances
  • Plants & plant material
  • Food, perishables or otherwise
  • Narcotics and dangerous goods
  • Offensive materials
  • Alcohol & Tobacco

Life after the move

So you’ve made it! You’ve finally arrived… The sun is shining and there’s not a cloud in sight. Hooray! But what next? What about other factors such as healthcare and residency? Fear not, we haven’t left just yet!

Spanish residency

All EU nationals need to apply for a ‘Residencia’ (or residency permit) which you can get from the local ‘Oficina de Extranjeros‘ (foreign office) in your closest town. At the same time you will be given an NIE (a foreign identification number, which is a tax number for foreigners). Non-EU nationals will always need to apply for an NIE first.

Not everyone needs a residence card. However, we’d recommend getting one anyway as it’s great for ID purposes. Plus, it’s easier to complete all the other administration procedures if you have one.

If you’re a UK national who is employed in Spain, or self-employed, are a student, you won’t need a residence card, however;

In order to apply for a residence card you need to get an application form from the ‘Oficina de Extranjeros’, or ‘Comisaria de Policia’ (local Police Station), which you’ll then have to present to the ‘Oficina de Extranjeros’ with your passport, three passport sized photographs and a photocopy of the original. They’ll issue the card at their own discretion.

Find out more about NIE.


The Spanish healthcare system is very different to the UK’s, you may want to find out more about how the healthcare system works in Spain for both residential and holiday visits. From videos to guides, there’s plenty of information for you to consider before the big move.

Your pension in Spain

The UK state pension is payable in Spain and more people are qualifying for state pension than ever now, than ever before. Find out more about your Spanish move and pension and for information about British nationals living in Spain, including aspects such as the British and Spanish benefit entitlements, driving laws and vehicles. Request a Pre-Move Survey with Twilleys.


Que os vaya bien!