Removals to USA

Are you hankering for a taste of the Big Apple? Or is the relaxed east coast vibe more your thing? Either way, it’s not hard to work out why some of us want to make the journey across the pond for a new life in the USA. Whether you’re moving for work or family, international moves can take their toll and with all the rules and regulations of the American visa system, it’s best to know your stuff before you make your move.

When it comes to international removals, we know what we’re doing so let us help you make the bump-free, big move.

Before you leave the UK

Before leaving the UK, life is going to be a little hectic. From packing to life admin, sometimes it can all be a little overwhelming, especially with all the rules and regulations that come with moving to the USA, but have no fear – here you’ll find everything you need to plan your move, from useful links to lists, quick quotes and everything you need to help you on your way.

Tax and Pensions

Prior to leaving the United Kingdom, we recommend contacting HMRC to ensure that you won’t have to pay tax while you’re abroad and to double check that you have no outstanding tax payable – you wouldn’t want that hanging over your new life! You must also contact the Pension Service to notify them of your move, get a state pension forecast and inform them of your new address.


For holidays, transit and certain working arrangements, British citizens do not require a visa to visit the United States, you can stay for up to 90 days and a temporary visa will be supplied to you during your flight. However if you’re moving to the USA to live, then it’s a totally different story. See a general guide for British nationals living in the United States. In order to live and work in the United States you must ensure you have a Green Card visa. There are however, other exceptions and to find everything you need to know about visas see entry and residence requirements.


Worrying about what to pack? All household goods and personal belongings can be imported via duty free, as long as you’ve owned them for over a year. Sound frightening? It’s not. The majority of containers arriving in the USA are examined by US customs before entering the country, so as long as you’re organised, you should have no issues at all. At Twilleys we’ll supply you with all the necessary customs documents, along with all the advice you could ever hope for, so you won’t be left panicking on move day. Request a Pre-Move Survey.

All customs documents MUST be filled out prior to you leaving the United Kingdom. For more information about making the big move to the USA, take a look at moving to the USA. For more information on importing your possessions, see duty exemptions for household and personal effects. Even though different countries outline different rules on what you can and cannot import through their borders, we’d recommend NOT packing the following items:

  • Firearms & ammunition
  • Inflammable goods & substances
  • Plants & plant material
  • Food, perishables or otherwise
  • Narcotics and dangerous goods
  • Offensive materials
  • Alcohol & Tobacco

Think about it like you’re going on holiday, don’t pack anything you wouldn’t be happy to explain to a customs officer yourself.

Health and medication

When traveling to the USA you must ensure that you are fully covered with health and travel insurance before you leave the UK as the USA and UK do not have Reciprocal Agreements for healthcare. If this has gotten you a little nervous, see foreign travel advice USA.

After your move to the USA

It’s been a long journey but you’ve finally made it! Hello America! But what next? What about other factors such as employment and education? Find out more about life after the cross-pond move below.


You can only work in the USA if you carry a Green Card visa, employment authorisation or another visa that permits employment. If you have neither of these visas, then you are not permitted to work within the USA and will face extradition if you are found working without one. Find out more information about the post-move period on employment and visas and rights and protections for temporary workers.


Sending your kids to school once you’ve moved? The USA has a very different educational and qualification system to the UK and there are plenty of aspects to consider before deciding what move to take when sending your children to school in the states. But instead of taking our word for it, lets hear it from the experts – for all the information you need about the education system in the USA take a look at the US Department of Education website.

General Advice

If you’re still feeling a little nervous, check out this great guide on what your new life is going to be like in the USA. You’ll find advice on the school system, healthcare, residential requirements and much more.

You’ll need to take a look at their travel advice for the USA guide as well as reading supporting British nationals in the USA to further understand what you can and can’t do once you move. For general lifestyle advice, each state has different rules, so head to your state’s federal website for more information. You can request a pre-move survey or get a quick quote.


Good luck!